12/04/2010

A word I like

I like the word 'happenstance' (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/happenstance) . I like many other words too, but I've chosen this word today because I don't think we have an exact Spanish equivalent, and trying to find it has me thinking a lot. Also, this was the word that they used to translate the name of a French film (Le battement d'ailes du papillon (2000) that you should not miss.



Tell us about a word you like, not necessarily an English word.

2 comments:

  1. There are so many English and Spanish words I like that it isn't an easy task to choose only one. Anyway I've thought about the word "unattainable" because it comes to my mind very often. The reason is that I would like to speak English fluently which is an unattainable dream, as I have got a feeling that the more I study, the less I know. It's usually very difficult for me to find the correct way of speaking to express what I want to say.
    By the way, thanks for your word happenstance. I had never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be so difficult to choose a word because each one can have special meaning depending on the context where you use it. Anyway, since I heard the following word I've always thought it's different from the rest because it has a powerful meaning. The word is "stamina" (you can check the meaning in the following link http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/stamina).
    Altough I love my job, I'd never change it. However, the currently disastrous educational politic makes teachers feel a continuos test of stamina.

    ReplyDelete